Saturday, July 7, 2012

Put your best face forward!

At a recently concluded jewellery exhibition I had the honour of my college professor drop by, despite his busy schedule and many commitments. As we sat talking about the college days and he gave me an in-depth critique of my work, we talked about different techniques and design elements and that really got me nostalgic. 
You might wonder what the face on the right embossed in copper has anything to do with my college days well, for my graduate work in the last year of college I was required to do a dissertation on a subject of my choice, which happened to be masks! I had created a variety of masks in different metals ranging from lead, to nickel silver and of course my all time fav copper! 
      I recently saw another faboulous and one of my favourite artist Laurie Kern who works under the name 'The Adventurous Silversmith' create an absolutely gorgeous and award winning Cuff named 'Calamari Cuff'. It was basically a Calamari (Squid) worked with the repousse` technique in silver. If you know me you know I work in Copper and since there I was with my college days fresh in my memory, I came up with you guessed it ' Two face cuff' a cuff with repousse`d faces on it. There is nothing special about  the faces except well this is the first time I did a bit of repousse` work in my jewellery. In this second image you can see the faces starting to get more pronounced.
Two face cuff
© 2012 Nayna Studios™
Repousse` copper and oxidized finish
      Unfortunately there are no pics of the piece in further stages but here it is all done.
Two face cuff
© 2012 Nayna Studios™
Repousse` copper and oxidized finish

I gave it a flattened wire soldered edge and textured the space between the spaces to help the faces stand out. 


4 comments:

  1. Hi Naya, new follower!! That cuff is so cool, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful!!

    So glad to find a jewelry artist from India. Would love to know more about what the handmade scene is like in India.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kristi for the follow and for the compliment ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by Kashmira, the hand made scene is actually getting more momentum thanks to so many new online venues that help in educating the buyer and also in selling :)

    ReplyDelete

Liked the post? Didn't like it? Want to know more ? Want to leave your thoughts behind? Do drop a line or two if you wish :)